A Fire on Putney Hill - A Timely Reminder

Published: 09/04/2021 By Allan Fuller

London Fire Brigade have advised people to take extra precautions while cooking after a fire took hold of a flat on Putney Hill recently.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to the scene with  fire crews from Wandsworth, Battersea and Hammersmith fire stations attending.

Part of the kitchen of a fourth-floor flat was damaged by the fire which was under control within an hour. One woman left the property before the Brigade arrived and was treated on scene by London Ambulance Service crews.

The fire is believed to have been caused by cooking that was left unattended.

Sub Officer Matthew Mayes, who was at the scene, said: “Crews worked incredibly quickly to access the property and bring the fire under control and stop it from spreading to other flats.
“The fire started after cooking was left unattended and spread into the extractor fan.“Cooking should never be left unattended on the hob or grill - if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.”

The Fire Bridge recommend the following practical steps for safer cooking:

 • Don’t leave cooking unattended on the hob or grill – if you must leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.
 • Take extra care when cooking with hot oil as it can easily overheat and catch fire.
 • Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil.
 • Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil – oil and water are a dangerous mix.
 • If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
 • Not feeling 100%? Order a takeaway – if you're very tired, have been drinking alcohol or are taking medication that might make you drowsy, it's safer not to risk it.
 • Be fabric aware – loose clothing can easily catch fire, so take care not to lean over a hot hob, and always keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.