Then and Now
This is a postcard which although undated probably was a picture take in the 1900’s. most likely taken looking North long before the Dover House Estate was built on the land to the left.
Putney Park Lane is the longest unmade road in London, being close to a mile long. It runs form Putney Heath to the junction with the Upper Richmond Road near the shops on the parade at the bottom of Dover House Road.
Part way along the road is St Margaret’s Church, built in the 1800’s it was given to the Putney Church Council in 1912 by Seth Taylor who owned Granard House, the story was that the church was named after one of his daughters.
The lane is great place for dog walking and runners, at the top end is South Lodge which was a gate house originally, we sold it in 2001.
The lane is maintained by Wandsworth Council, driving is not allowed except for authorised vehicles.
So it is a piece of old Putney that will for ever be preserved and a reminder of rural times gone by.