Published: 02/09/2019 By Allan Fuller
This minuscule home was created in the 16th century and remained in use until 1900, when the occupant was a 6-foot-3-inch (1.91m) fisherman named Robert Jones. The rooms were too small for him to stand up in fully and he was eventually forced to move out when the council declared the house unfit for human habitation. The house is still owned by his descendants, it’s status has been confirmed by the Guinness Book of Records.
The house has a floor area of 3.05 by 1.8 metres (10.0 by 5.9 ft) and is painted red. It stands near the Conwy Castle walls. The ground floor is devoted to the living area with room for coal and an open fire, and a water tap tucked behind the stairs. The upstairs holds the cramped bedroom, which also comes with a small niche for storage.
Admission is £1.00 for adults or 50p for children; there is information about the house inside. A Welsh lady in traditional clothing stands outside when the house is open and will tell visitors about the history of the house. Visitors are unable to go upstairs to the first floor, due to structural instability, but can view it from the step ladder. It is open from spring to autumn